Mark Wooding mdw at distorted.org.uk
Fri Jan 23 14:47:29 EST 2009

"Russ P." <Russ.Paielli at gmail.com> writes:

> OK, fine, you can change the code of another member of the team. Are
> you going to check with him first, or just do it? The point is that
> changing an interface requires agreement of the team members who use
> that interface, whether on the calling or the implementation side of
> it. If you change interfaces without getting agreement with the other
> team members, you probably won't be on the team for long.

So far, so good.

> And without access restrictions, accessing _private is equivalent to
> changing the interface.

You've basically unilaterally stretched it, yes.  Programmers who do
this when the implementer of the interface is three feet away deserve to
get smacked.

If you don't have an easy way to get the interface extended, you have a
pleasant choice between hacking at the guts and just being screwed.
Have a nice day.

> On Jan 23, 4:57 am, Bruno Desthuilliers <bruno.
> 42.desthuilli... at websiteburo.invalid> wrote:
>> My my my. If you don't trust your programmers, then indeed, don't use
>> Python. What can I say (and what do I care ?). But once again, relying
>> on the language's access restriction to manage *security* is, well, kind
>> of funny, you know ?
>
> Are you seriously saying that if you were managing the production of a
> major financial software package with hundreds of developers, you
> would just "trust" them all to have free access to the most sensitive
> and critical parts of the program? Now *that's*, well, kind of funny,
> you know?

If you're working with developers you don't trust, you're going to lose
anyway.

-- [mdw]