Russ P. Russ.Paielli at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 06:17:55 EST 2009

On Jan 23, 1:54 am, Bruno Desthuilliers <bruno.
42.desthuilli... at websiteburo.invalid> wrote:
> Steven D'Aprano a écrit :

> >> Well, your claim /was/ just wrong.  But if you want to play dumb: the
> >> interface is what's documented as being the interface.
>
> > But you miss my point.
>
> > We're told Python doesn't have private attributes.
>
> Yes.
>
> > We're told that we're
> > allowed to "mess with the internals",
>
> Given that we're willing and able to cope with possible consequences.
>
> > we're *encouraged* to do so
>
> Certainly not.
>
> > Python
> > gives you the freedom to do so, and any suggestion that freedom might be
> > reduced even a tiny bit is fought passionately.
>
> Won't comment on this.
>
> > When people ask how to
> > implement private attributes, they're often told not to bother even using
> > single-underscore names.
>
> "often" ? Not as far as I can tell. I think you're confusing this with
> the advice to not use getters/setters for no good reason, given Python's
> support for computed attributes - which is not exactly the same thing.
>
> > When it is suggested that Python should become
> > stricter, with enforced data hiding, the objections come thick and fast:
> > people vehemently say that they like Python just the way it is, that they
> > want the ability to mess with the internals.
>
> Indeed. There's no shortage of B&D languages, and well, Python is OSS,
> so if you want a B&D Python (now that's an oxymoron), please feel free
> to implement it. But by all mean, leave my favorite language alone. Thanks.
>
> > You even argued that you disliked data structures implemented in C and
> > preferred those written in Python because you have more ability to mess
> > with the private attributes.
> > In context, I had just mentioned that lists'
> > internals were inaccessible from Python code. I neglected to give an
> > example at the time, but a good example is the current length of the
> > list. Consider the experience of Microsoft and Apple.
>
> Yes, two great examples of freedom champions.
>
> > No matter how often
> > they tell people not to mess with the internals, people do it anyway, and
> > always believe that their reason is a good reason.
>
> And who are *you* to pronounce any judgement about that ?
>
> > And Python culture encourages that behaviour (albeit the consequences are
> > milder: no buffer overflows or core dumps).
>
> > Add to that the culture of Open Source that encourages reading the source
> > code.
>
> Indeed. A *very* good thing FWIW.
>
> > You don't need to buy a book called "Undocumented Tips and Tricks
> > for Python" to discover the internals. You just need to read the source
> > code.
>
> Exactly.
>
> > And then you have at least two places in the standard library where
> > _attributes are *explicitly* public:
>
> >http://bugs.python.org/issue3152
>
> > Given this permissive culture, any responsible
>
> For your personal definition of "responsible".

> [...]

I am curious about something. Have you ever needed to access a
"private" attribute (i.e., one named with a leading underscore) in
Python code that you did not have the source code for? For that
matter, have you ever even used a library written in Python without
having access to the source code?

As I said before, if you have the source code you can always change
private attributes to public in a pinch if the language enforces
encapsulation. But if you are working on a team project, you can't
change the code that another member of a team checks in. That is how
enforced data hiding helps teams of developers manage interfaces. The
bigger the team and the bigger the project, the more it helps.

Mr. D'Aprano gave an excellent example of a large banking program.
Without enforced encapsulation, anyone on the development team has
access to the entire program and could potentially sneak in fraudulent
code much more easily than if encapsulation were enforced by the
language.

I am certainly not saying that Python is useless without enforced data
hiding. It is obviously very useful for a wide range of applications
and domains already. I am only saying that it's usefulness could be
enhanced if enforced encapsulation can be added without somehow
comromising the language. I don't know enough about the inner workings
of the Python interpreter to know if that is the case or not (I am an
aeronautical engineer), but the objections I've seen so far on this
thread have not impressed me.