USB in python

Brian Allen Vanderburg II BrianVanderburg2 at aim.com
Fri Jan 23 00:53:25 EST 2009

astan.chee at al.com.au wrote:
> Hi,
> Thanks for all the responses but I forgot to mention that I have very
> little hardware understanding (at least in english) and the device
> itself it very simple and only needs about 5V power to be active. The
> problem here is that I want to control when the device is active using
> a computer so I thought USB might be a good choice since its simple
> (but didn't turn out to be). I'm open to any other suggestions on how
> I might achieve this hardware and software-wise (as in what interface
> should I use, etc). Also I'm trying to stay away from (complex) micro
> controllers.
> Any ideas?
> Thanks again
> Astan
> --
How about a different interface?  From what I have read the parallel
port is a bit easier to program.  I think you can control the data lines
of the parallel port though.  There is also a python wrapper for it on
the pyserial web site (pyparallel maybe?)

If you don't have a built-in parallel port then there are those USB to
serial/parallel converters.

Brian A. Vanderburg II