Start Python at client side from web app

James Stroud jstroud at mbi.ucla.edu
Wed Jan 21 16:08:48 EST 2009

Thomas Guettler wrote:
> Sorry, I described my problem not well. Here is more information:
>
> The main application is the intranet web application used with IE (ms windows client).
> But some action needs to be done on the client since you can't do it with html or javascript.
>
> 1. The user pushes a button in the web app.
> 2. Webserver sends signed python code to the client with own mime type
> 3. IE sends code to the python application.
> 4. Signature gets checked, Python code on the client gets executed.
> 5. Maybe send some data to the server with http.

You need to write an IE plugin for this, otherwise you can't get out of
the browser sandbox to execute anything on the client side.

In fact, if you just make your IE "application" a plugin, you can take
advantage of updating facilities that IE should have for plugins. If IE
doesn't have updating facilities, then just write a firefox plugin,
which does have these facilities.