what's the point of rpython?

Paul Rubin http
Wed Jan 21 05:12:11 EST 2009

Brendan Miller <catphive at catphive.net> writes:
> I'm curious about that. I've been looking around for timing
> information on the lock signal, but am having some trouble finding
> them. Intuitively, given that the processor is much faster than the
> bus, and you are just waiting for processor to complete an addition or
> comparison before put the new memory value on the bus, it seems like
> there should be very little additional bus contention vs a normal add
> instruction.

The bus is slow compared with the L1 cache.  I just looked for figures
and couldn't find any either, but I remember seeing some for the Core
2 saying around 100 cycles, and something similar for the Athlon.  I
just came across something saying the Core i7 is considerably better
than the Core 2 at this.

The real solution is to not use so much bus locking.  Get rid of the
ref counts and use a real gc, if not in CPython then in PyPy.