Doubts related to subprocess.Popen()

Jeff McNeil jeff at jmcneil.net
Tue Jan 20 11:01:18 EST 2009

On Jan 20, 9:19 am, srinivasan srinivas <sri_anna... at yahoo.co.in>
wrote:
> Do parent process will have different file descriptor in it for each subprocesses or paprent uses a single file descriptor for all?
> I really want to know creation of each subprocess will occupy an entry in parents'file descriptor table. B'cos if i create more than 200 subprocesses, i am getting 'Too many open files' error.
>
> Thanks,
> Srini

Have you upped your open files limit?  My test script:

import subprocess

procs = []
for i in xrange(400):
    procs.append(subprocess.Popen("/bin/cat",
        stdin=subprocess.PIPE, stdout=subprocess.PIPE,
            stderr=subprocess.PIPE))

By default, 'ulimit -n' returns 1024, which is the number of open
files allowed.  Running the test script without changing it results
in:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "test.py", line 9, in <module>
    stderr=subprocess.PIPE))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/subprocess.py", line 593, in __init__
    errread, errwrite)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/subprocess.py", line 1002, in
_execute_child
    errpipe_read, errpipe_write = os.pipe()
OSError: [Errno 24] Too many open files

Now, up that limit to 8192 via ulimit -n, and run the script again:

[root at marvin jeff]# ulimit -n 8192
[root at marvin jeff]# python test.py
[root at marvin jeff]#

HTH,