function to find the modification date of the project

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Jan 19 19:02:10 EST 2009

Joe Strout wrote:
> James Mills wrote:
>
>> Also I'd like to point out that your method is not
>> very reliable as the modification time of those
>> files could change at any moment. Consider
>> unix systems for instnace where you could do:
>>
>> touch *
>>
>> And poof, you're modification times are now
>> the current time!
>
> Yes, and presumably if some power user did this, then that would be the
> intended effect.  Not sure why they'd do that, but they must have a good
> reason -- who am I to stop them?

What if a curious user simple looks at a file with an editor and saves
it without change?  Or changes it inconsequentially? Or makes copy to
x.py.orig, edits and plays with original, and when done renames
x.py.orig to x.py.  Or any such thing (which I have done in
Pythonxy/Lib) without any intention of changing version date?