Relax Syntax for Augmented Arithmetic?

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch bj_666 at gmx.net
Sun Jan 18 07:40:55 EST 2009

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 04:24:04 -0800, andrew cooke wrote:

> my argument was that *= is not treated as = and *, but as a completely
> new operator (the docs even say that the implementation need not return
> self which suggests some pretty extreme semantics were envisaged).

What do you mean by "suggests … extreme semantics"?  Most natural thing
is to use numbers and there you *have* to be able to return something
different than `self` to get anything useful.  For instance:

 n *= 3

with `n` bound to a number different from zero can't return `self` from
`__imul__`.

Ciao,
	Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch