Jerry Pournelle gives award to Python and Guido for 2008

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Jan 17 16:49:38 EST 2009

Richard Hanson wrote:
> [NB: Blatant Python advocacy (and OP self-promotion).]
>

> Jerry Pournelle commends Python and Guido in "The Annual Orchid
> and Onions Parade" portion of his Chaos Manor Reviews column:
>
>> <http://www.chaosmanorreviews.com/oa/2009/20090109_col.php>
>
> A reader [full-disclosure: that reader was me] nominated Python
> for an Orchid for Jerry's Orchid and Onions awards for 2008:
>
> '''
> I nominate the computer language Python for an Orchid for 2008.
> This last year, Python broke through into worldwide popularity.
> The volunteer team led by BDFL (benevolent dictator for life)
> Guido van Rossum released "Python 3000" (Python 3.0) before
> year's end as well as releasing the next production-line 2.x
> version, Python 2.6.
>
> Python -- and Linux (the kernel) with its "BDFL" Linus Torvalds
> -- show that benevolent dictatorships are great forms of
> organization which can easily beat out other forms of cooperation
> in software development unable to escape Pournelle's Iron Law,
> whether proprietary *or* open-source software [...].
> '''
>
> Jerry Pournelle followed up with:
>
> '''
> I completely agree with this. Python deserves a large Orchid.
> It's useful, well structured, easy to learn, and powerful. I use
> it to write quick filter functions among other things. I'm
> pleased to hand Guido a big Orchid. [...]
> '''
>
> I add: Great job, Guido and all!

Great nomination. In October he wrote
"Languages to Begin With

If you want to try learning what programming is like, I recommend you
start with Python. (Python.org) It's free, it's fast, and there are a
lot of example programs you can look through. The Wikipedia article on
Python gives a good description of the language and its history, as well
as an example of a Python program. Don't let the capability of the
language fool you into thinking you need to learn a lot before you can
do anything: you can write simple good programs in Python within a
couple of hours of beginning. O'Reilly has several books on the
language; I recommend Learning Python as a beginning, and those more
serious about learning the language need the O'Reilly Python Cookbook —
at least if you are like me and more comfortable learning languages by
studying examples.

Peter Glaskowsky notes that "Python is a language that relies on dynamic
typing and other kinds of looseness in order to increase programmer
productivity," and may not be entirely suitable for learning good
programming practices. I have to agree, but it is free, it does work,
and I confess I use it when I have a job that needs doing fast. In my
case I often craft filters and other specialized text processing, and
Python is excellent for that. I've never attempted to write a large and
complex Python program."