Integrating awk in Python

Python Nutter pythonnutter at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 20:01:57 EST 2009

If you or anyone who reads the thread is interested in using Python in
an advanced way you use generators and build processing chains that
will take the performance of Python to the edge and even give old AWK
a run for its money for certain types of processing.

Python:
wwwlog     = open("access-log")
bytecolumn = (line.rsplit(None,1)[1] for line in wwwlog)
bytes      = (int(x) for x in bytecolumn if x != '-')
print "Total", sum(bytes)

Python execution time: 25.96 seconds

AWK:
% awk '{ total += $NF } END { print total }' big-access-log

AWK execution time: 37.33 seconds

With generators you can plug in filters at any stage:

lines = lines_from_dir("big-access-log",".")
lines = (line for line in lines if 'robots.txt' in line)
log   = apache_log(lines)
addrs = set(r['host'] for r in log)the beauty of generators is that
you can plug
filters in at almost any stage

The second line increased the execution time of a 1.3GB log file.
Without it the execution was shameful at 53 minutes
With the second line added execution time was 93 seconds

David Beazley presented a great talk and accompanying PDF at
PyCon'2008. It would be great if these generator tricks / patterns
came more to the focus of the commuinity.

Link if interested: http://www.dabeaz.com/generators/Generators.pdf