Problem using python C API

Philip Semanchuk philip at semanchuk.com
Fri Jan 16 09:58:54 EST 2009

On Jan 16, 2009, at 5:31 AM, shi dingan wrote:

> void initexample() {
>  PyObject *m;
>  m = Py_InitModule("example", exampleMethods);
> }
>
> When I try to import examplemodule, I obtain the following message:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> ImportError: dynamic module does not define init function
> (initexamplemodule)

Hi Marc,
The tutorial says, "The initialization function must be named
initname(), where name is the name of the module". The error message
you got is very accurate: "module does not define init function
(initexamplemodule)". Since your module is called "examplemodule",
Python is looking for a function called "initexamplemodule".

Change your build step to build a module called "example" and not
"examplemodule" and I think you'll be OK.

bye
Philip