Éric Daigneault daigno at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 04:24:34 EST 2009

Hendrik van Rooyento keep the monkeys away from the typewriter.
Love it... just fully describes why we should keep some parts hidden from
the pointyHairedBossHired Code monkeys...

I'd like to think I know what I am doing...   can't say the same of all
people that have access to the code unfortunately... also I have very little
control over who has access to what.. if pointy haired boss says monkey A
has access to all then gotta live with it.  So this is why,
however shameful it may be, I will not use python here for production stuff.
 --- God I miss it, however scary the ride may feel to a hardcore Java guy..
it sure was fun.

Terry Reedy
> I did.  He gives a really nice use case for Python's ability to
> dynamically modify classes imported from a library.  (Were not you
> arguing against that?  Or was is someone else?)

There is a place for these kind of hacks, however, see code monkeys above, I
would want to make sure it is very well encapsulated (wrapper library for
example) before I release it as a lib to the internal zoo.  The thing that
gets me with all this talk about dynamic access to private wannabe
variables...

What happens to your coupling, I like my code nice and tidy, high internal
coupling is allowed but from the wild I would tend to want to reduce it as
much as possible.  Dynamically replaced code is a nice idea indeed and I
could think of a few really nice uses for this (good luck for this kind of
flexibility in Java) but doing so you willingly break the encapsulation
convention, thus you must also manage the possible consequences
that arise from this break.

Python is nice quick and flexible... but it provides so much rope a monkey
would hang the whole ecosystem with it.

Me I like the big spool, but as some wise dude once said with great power
comes great responsibilities.