Paul Rubin http
Fri Jan 16 02:56:35 EST 2009

Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> writes:
> >> Have you looked at Tim Sweeney's talk that I mentioned in another post?
> >> http://www.st.cs.uni-saarland.de/edu/seminare/2005/advanced-fp/docs/s...
>
> I did.  He gives a really nice use case for Python's ability to
> dynamically modify classes imported from a library.  (Were not you
> arguing against that?  Or was is someone else?)

He is talking about extending classes by something like inheritance,
not modifying them dynamically.  This is also in the context of an
extremely powerful static type system with existential and dependent
types, and totality proofs for just about everything.  That is about a
billion light years away from anything anyone has ever proposed for
Python.