Python Style Guide Questions

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Jan 16 02:00:04 EST 2009

koranthala wrote:
> Hi,
>    Which is more advisable?
> import x
> b = x.a
>              or
> from x import a
> b = a

If I know I want just one thing from x, I tend to use latter.
I also like 'import xyzlib as x'

>    I read in Learning Python that it is always better to use the
> former - especially since namespace wont be dirtied.

Namespace get cluttered, not dirtied.  In any case, either 'x' or 'a'
gets added.  One new name either way.

> class x:
>      def y():
>           try:
>               if test:
>                   obj.filename = str(os.path.basename
> (obj1.find_next_element().\
>                                               get_file_path()))
>                   obj.modify_time = obj.filename.find_created_time()
> +  \
>                                               datetime.timedelta
> (seconds=time.find_time())

Use 4 spaces instead of 5 for indents

> Almost every line requires the '\'.

As Steven said, usually no

> Also, especially since Python also
> uses whitespace as indentation, I keep confusing the block indentation
> with the indentation that the '\' causes in the next line.

'\' causes no indentation

Beyond that, consider find a style you like.  I agree with Stvhen about
using 'thought-sized' expressions.

tjr