General direction

Thu Jan 15 09:54:15 EST 2009

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 10:08:37 +0100, Diez B. Roggisch wrote:

> MLT schrieb:
>> Hello all: I'm a beginner to Python (and programming altogether), and
>> am now looking to create a program of my own.  What I've got in mind is
>> a very basic pest control program that would keep track of 1) trap
>> findings and 2) pesticides.  My thought is to make each of these
>> classes.  Looking at the general outline written below, can anyone give
>> general impression about whether I'm somewhat going in the right
>> direction or if I need to approach it entirely differently?  Thanks for
>> any suggestions or help!
>
> Familiarize yourself with PEP8 for naming and coding-conventions first.

Or not.

Enough of the PEP8-fascism please. It is not compulsory to follow PEP8 in
order to be allowed to learn Python. If Guido wanted it compulsory, he'd
have made the compiler enforce it.

Besides, you're talking to a newbie. Chances are he doesn't even know
what PEP8 is: the recommended style-guide for Python code.

http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/

Having said that, I will *suggest* to the Original Poster that you should
follow PEP8 as much as possible. It will save you a lot of grief in the
long run. But right now, it is more important to learn the language than
to learn conventions for how to name classes. If you can do both, great,
but don't let the naming conventions get in the way.

--
Steve