Michele Simionato michele.simionato at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 01:20:07 EST 2009

On Jan 14, 3:27 am, Paul Rubin <http://phr...@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote:>
> I don't understand why some folks spew such violent rhetoric against
> the idea of augmenting Python with features to alert you automatically
> when you depart from the convention, so that you can check that the
> departure is actually what you wanted.  A lot of the time, I find, the
> departures are accidental and automated checks would save me
> considerable debugging.

I would be fine having something like pylint built-in in the language
and running at every change of the source code (unless disabled with a
command line switch). I think this is the only reasonable solution to
get some additional protection we can hope for. A true change of the
language IMO is impossible, both technically, politically and for
legacy issue. Also, I am not convinced it would be a good idea, even
theoretically. It is easier to write a new Python-like language
from scratch than to add type checking to Python (I think you
were not proposing adding type checking in this post, right?).

             Michele Simionato