James Mills prologic at shortcircuit.net.au
Thu Jan 15 00:04:16 EST 2009

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 2:50 PM, Russ P. <Russ.Paielli at gmail.com> wrote:
(..)

> One feature of Ada that I always thought was a good idea is the
> distinction between functions and procedures, where functions are
> guaranteed to not have side effects. But I don't think Ada allows
> advanced functional programming such as passing functions as arguments
> to other functions.

Russ please do your research before you post.

The whole idea of the Functional Paradigm is _in fact_ computing
expressions and functions. Functional Programming is an implementation
of formal systems (calculus). Therefore it would be very useless
for any functional language to not do what you describe aboave.

Passing the result of a function as input to another function
_is not_ Advanced Functional Programming, but a requirement
of the functional paradigm.

--JamesMills