LGPL license for Qt 4.5

excord80 excord80 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 17:21:15 EST 2009

On Jan 14, 9:20 am, sturlamolden <sturlamol... at yahoo.no> wrote:

> In either case, Qt will be available under the same licensing terms as
> wxWidgets.
>
> As of today, the main reason to prefer wxPython over PyQt is the
> license. With an LGPL'd Qt, I'd rather ask what this will mean for
> wxPython.

wx has a nice community, and is actively developed, FWICT. I've also
heard that its maintainer is very responsive.

However, my impression is that the main appeal of wx is that it's API
is similar to MS Windows MFC (an appeal only for (some) MS Windows
developers though) and that it has favorable licensing conditions
(like GTK+). Further, I suspect that Pythoneers have been using and
recommending it because it's currently the least worst solution.

Now that LGPL Qt is very nearly here, I'd say that wxWidgets is going
to have a very challenging time ahead. Very challenging.