Carl Banks pavlovevidence at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 02:34:15 EST 2009

On Jan 13, 11:35 pm, "Russ P." <Russ.Paie... at gmail.com> wrote:
> I suggest you call Boeing and tell them that encapsulation is more
> trouble than it's worth for their 787 flight software. But please
> don't do it if you ever wish to work for them, because you will be
> proving conclusively that you don't have a clue about the kind of
> software systems they produce.

That's funny. I worked for four years at a GE Aviation subcontractor
on their jet engine control software, so I think do I have a clue
about how flight control software systems work.

At GE there was no encapsulation in sight on any system I worked on.
In fact, our engine simulation was a special-purpose object-oriented
language with--get this--no private variables.  Some other systems I
worked on didn't even use scoping, let alone encapsulation.

Looks like my anecdote cancels out yours!  Got any more?

Carl Banks