Rhodri James rhodri at wildebst.demon.co.uk
Tue Jan 13 22:25:55 EST 2009

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 02:27:09 -0000, Paul Rubin
<"http://phr.cx"@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> But, if something is done by convention, then departing from the
> convention is by definition unconventional.  If you do something
> unconventional in a program, it could be on purpose for a reason, or
> it could be by accident indicating a bug.

I wouldn't violently object to having some means of policing class
or module privacy, but it does have consequences.  When it's a
convention, you can break it; when it isn't, you can't, even if
you do have good reason.  Add that to the obviousness of the
"leading underscore => private" convention, and I just don't see
a burning need for it, that's all.