are there some special about '\x1a' symbol

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid
Tue Jan 13 20:44:59 EST 2009

On 2009-01-12, John Machin <sjmachin at lexicon.net> wrote:

> I didn't think your question was stupid. Stupid was (a) CP/M recording
> file size as number of 128-byte sectors, forcing the use of an in-band
> EOF marker for text files (b) MS continuing to regard Ctrl-Z as an EOF
> decades after people stopped writing Ctrl-Z at the end of text files.

I believe that "feature" was inherited by CP/M from DEC OSes
(RSX-11 or RSTS-11). AFAICT, all of CP/M's file I/O API
(including the FCB) was lifted almost directly from DEC's
PDP-11 stuff, which probably copied it from PDP-8 stuff.

Perhaps in the early 60's somebody at DEC had a reason.  The
really interesting thing is that we're still suffering because
of it 40+ years later.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I want to read my new
                                  at               poem about pork brains and