why cannot assign to function call

Tue Jan 13 04:54:20 EST 2009

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 15:46:35 +0000, Mark Wooding wrote:

> [Another tome.  I hope this contains sufficient new material to continue
> to be of interest to other readers.]

I found it interesting. I don't know about others. However, at 756 lines
(including quoting) it was nearly double the size of my previous tome, so
I think this discussion is clearly not going anyway. I think this
conversation is reaching it's natural end. Frustration levels are rising.
I could -- and in fact intended to -- write a point-by-point argument,
but that would only send the size of this skyrocketing and probably
nobody would read it. So I'm going to take a different tack in an attempt
to reduce frustration levels: if I can't convince the other side they're
wrong, can I at least get them to understand where I'm coming from a
little better?

As I see it, this conversation is floundering on two radically different
ideas about what it means to say a language uses pass-by-foo.

On the one hand, some people (me and possibly rurpy) consider "this is
pass-by-foo" to be a statement about behaviour directly visible to the
programmer. We have a set of behavioral traits in mind, and if a language
exhibits those behaviours, then it is clearly and obviously pass-by-foo
no matter how that behaviour is implemented. I'll call these the
behaviorists.

On the other hand, others (I'm going to put Joe and Mark into this group)
consider "pass-by-foo" to be a statement about mechanism, or if you
prefer, implementation. If a compiler does X, then the language is pass-
by-foo, regardless of behaviour. I'll call these the mechanists.

To a behaviorist, Python simply can't be pass-by-value, because it
doesn't behave like pass-by-value in other languages (particularly C and
Pascal). The Python community has a tradition of duck-typing: if it
quacks like a duck and swims like a duck, then it is a duck in every way
that is important. If it can't swim and doesn't quack, it isn't a duck,
no matter how much duck DNA is in it. If it flies, that's irrelevant to
the question, because some ducks fly and some don't.

According to the behaviorist view, what makes an evaluation strategy call-
by-reference is whether or not it exhibits the following three behaviours:

(1) passing a value to a function does not copy the value;

(2) modifications to the value inside the function are visible to the
caller;

(3) assignments to the value inside the function are visible to the
caller.

where "value" means the thing the programmer manipulates symbolically in
source code. Values are ints, strings, lists and so forth. Pointers or
references are *only* values if the language allows you to write the
equivalent of:

ptr = SomeReferenceTo(x)  # like Pascal's ptr := ^x;
x = Dereference(ptr)  # like Pascal's x := ptr^;

According to this viewpoint, Python clearly cannot be pass-by-reference
because (3) is not true.

Similarly, what makes pass-by-value is:

(1) passing a value to a function makes a copy of the value, where value
is an entity the programmer can symbolically manipulate in source code
(lists, ints, floats etc.);

(2) modifications to the value inside the function are not visible to the
caller;

(3) assignments to the value inside the function are not visible to the
caller.

According to this viewpoint, Python clearly cannot be pass-by-value
either because neither (1) nor (2) are true. The underlying mechanism is
irrelevant.

Mechanists take a different view. A typical argument paraphrased from Joe
in previous threads is:

"Of course Python makes a copy of the value you pass to a function. The
difference is that the value you pass is a reference."

Mechanists reject the restriction that values only include entities
manipulated by the programmer. Consequently they're prepared to say that
values in Python aren't the things which Python programmers symbolically
manipulate (strings, ints etc.) but are references. Needless to say this
claim strikes behaviorists as nonsensical and rather incoherent. If the
value of 2 isn't 2, then value has no meaning. If mechanists see the
behaviorists as "willfully ignorant", the behaviorists see the mechanists
as being blatantly obfuscatory, introducing irrelevant details and
ignoring clear examples of the duck quacking.

And these two viewpoints are why this debate never ends, merely goes
quite for a few weeks or months.

--
Steven