efficient interval containment lookup

Mon Jan 12 17:00:35 EST 2009

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 11:36:47 -0800, Per Freem wrote:

> hello,
>
> suppose I have two lists of intervals, one significantly larger than the
> other.
[...]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interval_tree

> for a_range in listA:
>   for b_range in listB:
>     is_within(b_range, a_range):
>       # accumulate a counter here
>
> where is_within simply checks if the first argument is within the
> second.

This will be O(m*n) where m is the size of the smaller list and n is the
size of the big one. It shouldn't matter which order you do the loops,
you still have to iterate over every point in each list, for every point
in the other list.

Using an interval tree may let you decrease the time to O(m*log n), at
the cost of extra overhead, but for millions of items the saving should
be large.

--
Steven