What would you like to see in a book about Matplotlib?

Sandro Tosi matrixhasu at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 05:17:13 EST 2009

Hi Dotan,

On Jan 11, 10:02 am, "Dotan Cohen" <dotanco... at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/1/5 Sandro Tosi <matrixh... at gmail.com>:
> > Your suggestions are really appreciated :) And wish me good luck!
>
> I wish you good luck!

Thanks you :)

> I would suggest at least a chapter on _acquiring_ the data that is to
> be plotted using Python to scrape different sources _not_designed_ to
> be scraped. Online webpages come to mind. An example on retrieving,
> for instance, the prices of varying currencies, parsing the HTML
> pages, extracting the data, and then plotting it would be a great
> example for a real worlds usage that show matplotlib as a tool in a
> toolchain, not a means to an end.

Well, a whole chapter to this is a little too much, but such examples
will be presented in the book: we're not going to teach how to program
in Python, but how to use matplotlib, so the data retriving is a
little out-of-scope (or at least border-line), so the code will be in
the examples provided along with the book, but not deeply explained in
the book text.

Thanks,
Sandro