Regex for unicode letter characters

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Sat Jan 10 22:03:38 EST 2009

MRAB wrote:
> schickb wrote:
>> I need a regex that will match strings containing only unicode letter
>> characters (not including numeric or the _ character). I was surprised
>> to find the 're' module does not include a special character class for
>> this already (python 2.6). Or did I miss something?
>>
>> It seems like this would be a very common need. Is the following the
>> only option to generate the character class (based on an old post by
>> Martin v. Löwis )?
>>
> [snip]
> Basically, yes.
>
> The re module was last worked on in 2003 (remember it's all voluntary!).
> Such omissions should be addressed in Python 2.7.

By "should be" do you mean "ought to be (but I have no intention of
helping)", "are expected to be (but someone else will be doing the
work", "it's on my list and I am expecting to get finished in time for
2.7 integration" or something else?

regards
 Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119