why cannot assign to function call

Fri Jan 9 20:14:48 EST 2009

On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 21:03:39 +0000, Mark Wooding wrote:

> Steven D'Aprano <steve at REMOVE-THIS-cybersource.com.au> wrote:
>
>> Python doesn't do the same thing as C. It actually passes the same
>> value to the function, without copying it.
>>
>> Why oh why do you keep insisting that Python is no different from C?
>
> I'm beginning to think that you're not bothing to read what I'm writing,

Er, perhaps you missed that I was replying to Joe Strout.

Joe wrote:

"The reference itself is passed in, not the variable (or
expression) that held or generated the reference in the calling code.

This is no different from, in C, passing an integer:"

I'm pretty sure I clearly quoted Joe in my post. Perhaps you missed it.
In any case, I'm happy for you to contribute (it's a public forum), but
how do you conclude I'm not reading *your* posts because I disagree with
Joe's claim that Python is just like C?

--
Steven