Replying to list messages

Fri Jan 9 03:32:23 EST 2009

On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 10:42:13 -0800, Paul McNett wrote:

> Ben Finney wrote:
>> Paul McNett <p at ulmcnett.com> writes:
>>> But arguing about this here isn't going to change anything: opinions
>>> differ just like tabs/spaces and bottom-post/top-post.
>>
>> In cases like this, one side can simply be wrong :-)
>>
>> Best of luck getting your programs behaving as you want them to!
>
> BTW, I agree with you that in an ideal, pure world mailing lists
> wouldn't munge the reply-to field, but when 80% of the people use email
> clients that don't support reply-list, the practical thing to do as a
> list admin that wants to avoid having to explain over and over again
> that "your client software is broken" is to simply swallow some pride
> and munge the reply-to. Now, 99% of the users are happy, and the
> remaining 1% are elite enough to understand how to get around any
> problems this caused.

The only problem this leads to is people who hit send without checking
where they are sending to are likely to be embarrassed when they send
personal posts to the entire mailing list.

As far as I'm concerned, hitting send without looking to see who you are
sending to is akin to turning into a busy road without looking to see if
there are any cars coming: any accident that happens is YOUR fault, not
the fault of the road, car, mail client or mailing list.

It boggles my brain that [insert sweeping generalisation here] the people
who are most vehement about blaming the mailing list software are usually
also the least understanding when (l)users click "OK" to dialogs without
reading what the dialog says first.

--
Steven