parallel and/or synchronous start/run/stop on multiple boxes

James Mills prologic at shortcircuit.net.au
Thu Jan 8 00:17:35 EST 2009

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 3:08 PM, Shane <gshanemiller at verizon.net> wrote:
> Consider a network of 3 fully-connected boxes i.e. every box as a TCP-
> IP connection to every other box.
>
> Suppose you start a python program P on box A. Is there a Python
> mechanism for P to send a copy of itself to box B or C then start that
> program P on B or C by running a method p in P? Is there a way that P
> on A could wait for that result?

No, python provides no such mechanism. However,
I would highly recommend you take a look at circuits (1)
for this task - as it's been especially developed for
distributed processing in the manner you describe above.

In order for your program to propagate itself, you would
have to rely on ssh (recommended). There are several
good ssh libraries/clients for python, and pexpect might
come in handy as well.

cheers
James

1. http://trac.softcircuit.com.au/circuits/