why cannot assign to function call

Dan Esch daniel.a.esch at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 15:53:13 EST 2009

Wait a sec...

I think I get this...

In essence, the implication of immutability for Python is that there is only
one "parrot", one "spam,"in fact one anything. (This seems like it must hold
for data primitives - does it hold for complex objects as well? It seems it
must...) In addition there is only one 1, and one 2 etc.  We may or may not
have realized that string in a memory address to which variable names can be
bound, but should we do so, there is only one "parrot"

Python, is in fact, a Platonic programming language.  Weird.  If I've got
this right, worth chewing on....