del behavior

Eric Snow esnow at verio.net
Wed Jan 7 14:55:28 EST 2009

On Jan 7, 12:48 pm, "Chris Rebert" <c... at rebertia.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 11:39 AM, Eric Snow <es... at verio.net> wrote:
> > I was reading in the documentation about __del__ and have a couple of
> > questions.  Here is what I was looking at:
>
> >http://docs.python.org/reference/datamodel.html#object.__del__
>
> > What is globals referring to in the following text from that reference
> > page?
>
> Globals are variables that have toplevel module scope. Basically, any
> assignments, function definitions, or class definitions with no
> indentation from the left margin will create a global variable. If you
> can get at the variable by appending something of the form
> "\nSomeIdentifierHere\n" to the module's file, and it's not a built-in
> function, then it's a global.
>
> Cheers,
> Chris
>
> --
> Follow the path of the Iguana...http://rebertia.com

Perfect!  that is kind of what I thought.  Thanks.

So any such in any module every variable in memory that starts with an
underscore will be deleted before the rest.  Then this does not affect
the order in which variables are deleted in instances of my classes,
and thus all my class and instance variables (including methods) are
available when the __del__ of the class instance is called?

-eric