pg_result_status() alternative?

Qian Xu quian.xu at stud.tu-ilmenau.de
Wed Jan 7 07:21:23 EST 2009

Steve Holden wrote:
> Without knowing the full details of that particular module I would
> hazard a guess that any database errors will raise exceptions in Python.
> No exceptions means your database operation worked fine.

result status is not an exception.
It means the information of frontend/backend protocal, after a SQL-statement
is execute.

The following is a list of backend IPC commands (v3)
  Z - Zero / Ready for Query
  E - Error Code
  A - Notification
  P - Cursor Response
  B - Binary Row
  D - Data, Ascii
  C - Complete
  G - Copy IN
  H - Copy OUT
  I - Idle
  T - Row Description
  V - Function result

For instance:
  SELECT * FROM my_table;
The backend protocal should return T (Row Description) and the frontend
protocal should return Q (Query)
  DROP TABLE my_table;
The backend protocal should return C (Complete) and the frontend protocal
should return Q (Query)

--Qian