why cannot assign to function call

Hendrik van Rooyen mail at microcorp.co.za
Wed Jan 7 03:20:43 EST 2009

"Mark Wooding" <m....w at distorted.org.uk> wrote:

> A better analogy.  The objects are scattered across the floor.  No
> object is contained in another.  However, we have a plentiful supply of
> bits of string, each of which is tied to a Teflon-covered paperweight at
> one end and has a blob of Blu-Tack on the other.  Instead of putting
> something in a box directly, what we do is grab a piece of string, stick
> the Blu-Tack to the thing, and put the paperweight in the box.  This
> way, we can stick several bits of string to the same object and put the
> paperweights in different boxes.  Indeed, nothing stops us sticking two
> bits of string to a box, and putting both paperweights inside that same
> box.  But fitting a box into itself twice requires origami skills that
> frighten me.
>
> The Teflon stops the Blu-Tack from sticking to the paperweights, 'cos
> you're not allowed to do that.
>
> There's a daemon who comes around periodically and cleans up the mess of
> paperweights which aren't in boxes, and tidies away things which don't
> have any string stuck to them any more, but really he's just an
> implementation detail and you wouldn't need him if your floor was big
> enough and you had enough bits of sufficiently long string.

Lovely!

This is the nicest analogy I have seen,
and it seems to completely account
for all the observed effects.

The only other one that comes close
is Dennis L Bieber's "Wandering Names".

I propose that we name the garbage
collection demon "Steven" because
he has IMO lost this argument, and
therefore deserves to spend eternity
tied up in string.

;-)

- Hendrik

--
With the disappearance of the gas mantle and the advent
of the short circuit, man's tranquillity began to be threatened