If your were going to program a game...

alex23 wuwei23 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 00:04:45 EST 2009

On Jan 1, 9:37 pm, Tokyo Dan <huff... at tokyo.email.ne.jp> wrote:
> If your were going to program a game in python what technologies would
> you use?

pyglet[1], pygame[2], or pycap[3].

> The game is a board game with some piece animations, but no movement
> animation...think of a chess king exploding. The game runs in a
> browser in a window of a social site built around the game. The social
> site has login, chat, player stats, list of active games, etc. AND
> there is also be a desktop client that accesses the game server via
> the same communication mechanism (like an AIR-based desktop client/
> app) as the browser-based version - I guess using JSON/RPC.

You could always make Firefox + the PyXPCOM[4] extensions a
requirement for use, then just code up the UI in Python where you'd
usually use JavaScript. The desktop client could be based on XULRunner
[5], then both the web & desktop versions should be pretty much
identical.

1: http://www.pyglet.org/
2: http://www.pygame.org/
3: http://www.farbs.org/pycap.html