If your were going to program a game...

Joe Strout joe at strout.net
Tue Jan 6 12:44:39 EST 2009

Kay Schluehr wrote:

> There is no solution to this problem from a Python perspective. Do
> what everyone does right now: use Flash for the game and manage your
> site with Python if you like the language.

I know this has been discussed before, and the difficulties are many,
yadda yadda etc...  But suppose we reduce the scope: just the core
Python language, maybe a VERY few of the standard modules (e.g. math and
string), plus some pygame-like classes to move sprites around, play
sounds, and check keyboard and mouse state.

Or to look at it another way: Python is used as the scripting language
in many commercial games.  Why couldn't we make a browser plugin (in
C++, for example) that implements a "generic" game, i.e. moving of
sprites and playing of sounds and so on -- and that uses Python as its
scripting language?

Not that I have anything against Flash; I've started learning it just
last week, and apart from the nasty C-derived syntax, it's quite nice.
It has a good IDE, good performance, great portability, and it's easy to
use.  It just surprises me that after all these years, the Python
community hasn't done something similar.

Best,
- Joe