SSL certificate parsing?

Python Nutter pythonnutter at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 02:11:40 EST 2009

If no one answers, the way I do my work with certificates is I just
wrap OpenSSL myself by doing a popen call (probably now should be
using subprocess for any future scripts I write). I then redirect the
output that normally goes to the shell window into a buffer then I
search/slice out the fields using standard Python string searching.
You could go to regex's but its overkill in my opinion if you can
simply do standard string searches. The buffer always follows a set
pattern so you are not going to have to search wildly varying output
from OpenSSL call to OpenSSL call.

I looked at PyOpenSSL but I have country specific OIDs that are
standard by not in the default ISO standard. Most libraries fall short
on supporting what I need and it was brain dead easy to just call
OpenSSL in my script directly and capture the output for parsing.

Its up to you what you want to do with the extracted information, you
could just populate a dict with it and perhaps shelve or store it for
later use if you have such a need or as in my case since I only
process the certificates once I just use the parsed information
immediately in my scripts logic decision tree(s) to create various
output.

Cheers,
PN