why cannot assign to function call

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Jan 2 15:58:55 EST 2009

Derek Martin wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 11:43:30AM -0500, Steve Holden wrote:
>> Derek Martin wrote:
[...]
>>> It's small wonder that neophytes try to cram Python behaviors into
>>> terms and computing concepts they already understand from learning
>>> other languages, and that they fail to do so.  What's mystifying is
>>> that when Pythonistas reply to their messages, they universally seem
>>> confused at how this could possibly happen, and often enough actually
>>> seem offended (or at least offensive) when it inevitably does happen...
>>>
>> Generally speaking we try not to be offensive first on this list.
>
> Perhaps I've misused the term Pythonista... I meant roughly, "people
> who frequent this list/news group who seem to consider themselves
> experts at programming Python (and for the most part, are)."
> I consider myself pretty well informed about Python (though not an
> expert by any means), and I still read this list often (I use the
> mailing list interface), because I still find that I learn useful
> things from the posts to it from time to time.  But I often see python
> "experts" lambasting people who clearly from their posts are new at
> python, because their code is bad, their understanding is bad, or in
> this case even accusing the learning materials of being sub-par.  I
> realize that some of this is meant in jest, but a lot of it isn't, and
> it can be quite difficult for someone who doesn't speak your language
> natively (or even one who does, given the medium) to tell the
> difference.  There are better ways to foster understanding... ;-)

I don't think you can abuse a term that doesn't have any set meaning -
generally it's used to refer simply to users of Python, or at least
that's the way I use it.

Lambasting is definitely not the way to proceed with learners, and
generally the denizens of this group mostly behave properly. Even when
meant in jest it's not appropriate, not  helpful, and not Pythonic. I
have been known to be unnecessarily crabby myself on the odd off-day,
though usually when I catch myself behaving that way I try to apologize
when it's appropriate.

There are a few individuals who pop up from time to time and whose
behavior is incendiary, but we should even ignore those. Not answering a
post is the best way to ensure they don't come back seeking to offend
again. Or, better still, change their ways and become model citizens.

regards
 Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119