If your were going to program a game...

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Jan 2 09:25:32 EST 2009

Aaron Brady wrote:
> On Jan 1, 2:55 pm, "Chris Rebert" <c... at rebertia.com> wrote:
>>> It still surprises me that no one has implemented the solution for
>>> this yet.
>>> Maybe it's harder than it seems, but it *seeems* like it's just a
>>> matter of telling Firefox, "hey, when you see this special html
>>> element that tells you to run this python code from the web, do it".
>>> Then have FF load up a python interpreter, sandbox it somehow (that
>>> is, limit it to only a safe subset of its std lib), it runs the code
>> The "sandbox it somehow" part is significantly harder than you seem to
>> believe it would be. Python tried previously with the rexec and
>> Bastion modules, but they were found to be irreparably flawed and thus
>> were removed.
>
> Suppose you compiled a version with no file type and a reduced os
> module?

"Cars are dangerous". "Yes, but suppose you made them completely
elastic". Sheesh. The developers are way less dumb than you seem to believe.

Suppose you did compile a version with no file type and a reduce os
module? Perhaps you would like to do some research into *why* rexec and
bastion were dropped from the implementation. Or read Brett Cannon's
work on "safe" execution of arbitrary Python. That way you would stop
making fatuous suggestions that don't help anybody.

regards
 Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119