If your were going to program a game...

Chris Rebert clp at rebertia.com
Thu Jan 1 15:55:06 EST 2009

On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 12:24 PM, excord80 <excord80 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 1, 2:37 pm, Kay Schluehr <kay.schlu... at gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> There is no solution to this problem from a Python perspective. Do
>> what everyone does right now: [snip]
>
> It still surprises me that no one has implemented the solution for
> this yet.
>
> Maybe it's harder than it seems, but it *seeems* like it's just a
> matter of telling Firefox, "hey, when you see this special html
> element that tells you to run this python code from the web, do it".
> Then have FF load up a python interpreter, sandbox it somehow (that
> is, limit it to only a safe subset of its std lib), it runs the code

The "sandbox it somehow" part is significantly harder than you seem to
believe it would be. Python tried previously with the rexec and
Bastion modules, but they were found to be irreparably flawed and thus
were removed.
However, Google App Engine seems to have found at least a partial
solution, but they're keeping it to themselves as far as I know, and
it's server-side rather than client-side anyway.

Cheers,
Chris

--
Follow the path of the Iguana...