Creating an application for Linux

lkcl luke.leighton at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 1 08:47:22 EST 2009

On Dec 31 2008, 9:54 pm, Mike Driscoll <kyoso... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 31, 3:36 pm,lkcl<luke.leigh... at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > hiya mike: where do i know you from?  i've heard your name somewhere
> > and for the life of me can't remember where!  anyway... onwards.
>
> I don't know...while your username looks vaguely familiar, I don't
> think I've communicated with you recently. I spend most of my time on
> the wxPython list now...

 i think it might be from my old school - i could be confusing you
with
 someone, though - "gary driscoll", perhaps? anyway, never mind :)

> > testing: you should really use a debootstrap absolute "basic"
> > environment (set up a chroot, or a virtual KVM or other virtual PC,
> > qemu, whatever, or even a real machine) do NOT do a "full" install of
> > ubuntu, do an absolute minimalist install (netbook, businesscard,
> > whatever).
>
> I thought the general practice was to test on the closest software/
> hardware combo that your application was most likely to run on.

 that you should do as well :)  you should be able to either upgrade
 the bare-bones version using "tasksel install desktop" or just...
 what-the-heck, install on a vanilla combo.

 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/intrepid/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/

 archive.ubuntu.com appears offline at the moment - maybe it'll be
back later.  i recommend you go for the mini.iso

> I have
> heard of doing testing on the lowest common denominator before though.
> Unfortunately, I don't have time to set up a bare-bones VM since we're
> closing soon, but I may give this a go on Friday and report back.

 ok - the issue that you will face if you _don't_ do a LCD test is
that
 should ubuntu get upgraded, and one of the packages that _used_ to
pull
 in a dependency [that you missed] no longer does so...