More mod_wsgi weirdness: process restarts on redirect

Ron Garret rNOSPAMon at flownet.com
Thu Jan 29 18:01:07 EST 2009

I'm running mod_wsgi under apache (on Debian etch so it's a somewhat out
of date version, though I doubt that has anything to do with this issue).

I have a little test page that displays the process ID under which my
app is running, and some global state, so I can tell when the wsgi app
gets reloaded.  This mostly only happens when I restart apache, but it
also seems to happen when my WSGI app does an HTTP 302 redirect.  (I'm
actually using Yaro and calling req.redirect, but that only does a
straightforward HTTP 302 redirect as far as I can tell.)  It not only
resets the global state, but changes process ID, so it seems to be doing
a complete restart of mod_wsgi, which seems a little excessive.

My question is: is this supposed to be happening?  Or is this an
indication that something is wrong, and if so, what?

Thanks,
rg