Reading the first MB of a binary file

Max Leason madmax209 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 11:37:07 EST 2009

Hi,

I'm attempting to read the first MB of a binary file and then do a md5
hash on it so that i can find the file later despite it being moved or
any file name changes that may have been made to it. These files are
large (350-1400MB) video files and i often located on a different
computer and I figure that there is a low risk for generating the same
hash between two files. The problem occurs in the read command which
returns all \x00s. Any ideas why this is happening?

Code:
b'\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00....\x00'