what gives with "'import *' not allowed with 'from .'"?

Darren Dale dsdale24 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 21:56:18 EST 2009

I know the use of "from foo import *" is discouraged, but I'm writing
a package that I hope others may want to integrate as a subpackage of
their own projects, I know what I'm doing, and I want to use the
"from .bar import *" syntax internally. It works fine with python-2.6,
but with python-2.5 I get a SyntaxError: "'import *' not allowed with
'from .'" Judging from http://bugs.python.org/issue2400 , this issue
was fixed back in May 2008, but it is still present with python-2.5.4,
which was released in December. Why wont python-2.5 allow this kind of
import?