Integrating awk in Python

Alfons Nonell-Canals alfons.nonell at upf.edu
Fri Jan 16 07:02:59 EST 2009

Hello,
I'm developing a software package using python. I've programmed all
necessary tools but I have to use other stuff from other people. Most of
these external scripts are developed using awk.

At the beggining I thought to "translate" them and program them in
python but I prefer to avoid it because it means a lot of work and I
should do it after each new version of this external stuff. I would like
to integrate them into my python code.

I know I can call them using the system environment but it is slower
than if I call them inside the package. I know it is possible with C, do
you have experience on integrate awk into python calling these awk
scripts from python?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Alfons.