executing multiple functions in background simultaneously

Catherine Moroney Catherine.M.Moroney at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Jan 13 20:02:28 EST 2009

Hello everybody,

I know how to spawn a sub-process and then wait until it
completes.  I'm wondering if I can do the same thing with
a Python function.

I would like to spawn off multiple instances of a function
and run them simultaneously and then wait until they all complete.
Currently I'm doing this by calling them as sub-processes
executable from the command-line.  Is there a way of accomplishing
the same thing without having to make command-line executables
of the function call?

I'm primarily concerned about code readability and ease of
programming.  The code would look a lot prettier and be shorter
to boot if I could spawn off function calls rather than
subprocesses.

Thanks for any advice,

Catherine