Python 3.0 urllib.parse.parse_qs results in TypeError

ag73 andygrove73 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 14:54:07 EST 2009

Hi,

I am trying to parse data posted to a Python class that extends
http.server.BaseHTTPRequestHandler. Here is the code I am using:

	def do_POST(self):
		ctype, pdict = cgi.parse_header(self.headers['Content-Type'])
		length = int(self.headers['Content-Length'])
		if ctype == 'application/x-www-form-urlencoded':
			qs = self.rfile.read(length)
			print("qs="+str(qs))
			form = urllib.parse.parse_qs(qs, keep_blank_values=1)

The print statement shows the following output, so it looks like the
data is being posted correctly:

qs=b'file_data=b
%27IyEvdXNyL2Jpbi9lbnYgcHl0aG9uCiMgZW5jb2Rpbmc6IHV0Zi04CiIiIgp1bnRpdGxlZC5weQoK
%5CnQ3JlYXRlZCBieSBBbmR5IEdyb3ZlIG9uIDIwMDgtMTItMDIuCkNvcHlyaWdodCAoYykgMjAwOCBf
%5CnX015Q29tcGFueU5hbWVfXy4gQWxsIHJpZ2h0cyByZXNlcnZlZC4KIiIiCgppbXBvcnQgc3lzCmlt
%5CncG9ydCBvcwoKCmRlZiBtYWluKCk6CglwcmludCAibmFtZTE9dmFsdWUxIgoJcHJpbnQgIm5hbWUy
%5CnPXZhbHVlMiIKCgppZiBfX25hbWVfXyA9PSAnX19tYWluX18nOgoJbWFpbigpCgo%3D
%5Cn%27&filename=test.py'

However, the last line of code that calls parse_qs causes the
following exception to be thrown:

<class 'TypeError'>
Type str doesn't support the buffer API

I haven't been able to find any information on the web about this. Any
pointers would be appreciated. I am using ActivePython 3.0 and have
tried this on Linux and Max OS X with the same outcome.

Thanks,

Andy.