Standard IPC for Python?

Laszlo Nagy gandalf at shopzeus.com
Tue Jan 13 11:25:13 EST 2009

I would like to develop some module for Python for IPC. Socket
programming howto recommends that for local communication, and I
personally experienced problems with TCP (see my previous post: "Slow
network").

I was looking for semaphores and shared memory, but it is not in the
standard lib. I was also thinking about unix domain sockets, but it is
not available under windows.

I was looking for non-standard modules as well, but only found a few
references with insufficient information. For example:

http://code.activestate.com/recipes/519626/

The question is: what is the standard way to implement fast and portable
IPC with Python? Are there tools in the standard lib that can do this?

Thanks,

   Laszlo