how to remove 'FFFD' character

webcomm ryandw at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 12:46:44 EST 2009

Does anyone know a way to remove the 'FFFD' character with python?

You can see the browser output I'm dealing with here:
http://webcomm.webfactional.com/htdocs/fffd.JPG
I deleted a big chunk out of the middle of that JPG to protect
sensitive data.

I don't know what the character encoding of this data is and don't
know what the 'FFFD' represents.  I guess it is something that can't
be represented in whatever this particular encoding is, or maybe it is
something corrupt that can't be represented in any encoding.  I just
want to scrub it out.  I tried this...

clean = txt.encode('ascii','ignore')

...but the 'FFFD' still comes through.  Other ideas?

Thanks,
Ryan