folder extraction

r.grimm at science-computing.de r.grimm at science-computing.de
Thu Jan 1 04:23:32 EST 2009

On Dec 30 2008, 4:30 pm, ibpe... at gmail.com wrote:
> how do i get along with this task of extracting multiples folder and
> generating their names individually in a their respective files as
> they were generated.

Hallo,
I hope, that I interpret your question in the right way.
You can use the following function as a starting point to get all
files ending with py or pyc from your working dir.
Invoke getAllFilesOfPatterns(".","*.py *.pyc")

import os
import fnmatch
def getAllFilesOfPatterns( dir ,patterns="*",  recursive=True  ):
    """ patterns must be space separeted string of patterns
        e.g: *.pdf *.ps *.html
        """
    patterns= patterns.split()
    retValue=[]
    for path,dirs,files in os.walk(dir):
        for file in files:
            for pattern in patterns:
                if fnmatch.fnmatch( file , pattern ):
                    retValue.append(os.path.join(path,file))
        if not recursive: break
    return retValue

Greetings