Python Image Library IOError - cannot find JPEG decoder?

Zvezdan Petkovic zvezdan at zope.com
Wed Feb 25 20:44:50 EST 2009

> On Feb 24, 9:34 am, Dario Traverso <traver... at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've been trying to install the Python Image Library  (PIL) on my Mac
>> OSX Leopard laptop, but have been running into some difficulties.
>> I've followed all of the installation instructions exactly. The build
>> summary reported everything was "ok". What could be the problem here.
>> Libjpeg-6b  is not accessible?
>> That would be my guess.

It could be something obvious and something you have done, but it's
worth asking:

1. Do you have the path to fink binaries, such as djpeg,
    in your shell PATH (e.g., /opt/local/bin for MacPorts)?

2. Did you set up the path to the libraries you linked with in the
    environment variable DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH?
    For example, DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/local/lib for MacPorts

3. Did you execute your app with this variable available.

    $ env DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/local/lib your-app

    Once you confirm what is missing you can write a Python wrapper
    to call your app with the right environment.