"metaclass conflict" error: where is noconflict ?

Hrvoje Niksic hniksic at xemacs.org
Sun Feb 22 12:44:04 EST 2009

"Barak, Ron" <Ron.Barak at lsi.com> writes:

> import wx
>
> class CopyAndPaste(object):
>  def __init__(self):
>   pass
>
>  def set_copy_and_paste(self):
>
> and CopyAndPaste is being called with:

> class ListControlMeta(wx.Frame, CopyAndPaste):
>  pass

You don't need ListControlMeta at all; just inherit from wx.Frame and
(new-style) CopyAndPaste directly.

> $ python -u ./failover_pickle_demo09.py
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "./failover_pickle_demo09.py", line 324, in <module>
>  class ListControlMeta(wx.Frame, CopyAndPaste):
> TypeError: Error when calling the metaclass bases
>  metaclass conflict: the metaclass of a derived class must be a
> (non-strict) subclass of the metaclasses of all its bases

Are you sure you're executing the latest version where CopyAndPaste is
a new-style class?  The equivalent code works for me:

>>> import wx
>>> class CopyAndPaste(object):
...   pass
>>> class ListControl(wx.Frame, CopyAndPaste):
...   pass
>>> # no error

Could it be that you're using an older version of wx, where wx.Frame
itself is an old-style class?